ontology-summit-advisors

Re: [ontology-summit-advisors] Developing a managerial fantasy?

To: OntologySummit2013 Advisory Committee <ontology-summit-advisors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Welty <cawelty@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 07:13:10 -0400

There is a definite lack of empirical studies, as its not easy to do, also I think people drawn to ontologies tend away from empirical studies. But Here's one: https://www.aaai.org/Papers/AAAI/2004/AAAI04-050.pdf

Chris

On Thursday, April 25, 2013, Pat Hayes wrote:

On Apr 23, 2013, at 1:44 PM, Fabian Neuhaus wrote:

> All,
> I received an off-list reply from somebody who read my last email as a dismissal of ongoing work in ontology and existing practices. I exaggerated the current situation for humorous effects, that obviously backfired.
>
> So, just to make it clear: I don't believe that ontologies are pieces of art. Although many ontologies are developed in an ad hoc fashion, there are, of course, people who are applying sound methodologies in ontology development.

Are there, indeed? Have these 'sound' methodologies been tested in practice, with comparatives between them? What empirical results are available to show that these methodologies have any value?

Any methodology has its limitations and problems: what can be said about the limits of applicability of any of these methodologies, or the conditions under which they might be expected to fail?

> The communique is based on       their experiences

Based on how many of them, used under what circumstances, on what projects? Were they all of a similar scale, or varied? Were any of them Web-based? What purposes did they serve? How large is the sample size represented here?

It would be better to read about the actual experiences. Why not have the communique cite them in support of its claims, so that readers can make up their own minds about how "sound" all this really is?

Pat