Re: [ontolog-forum] Prospects made into Customers and Vice Versa

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <metasemantics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 08:23:15 -0700

Dear Tom,

You wrote:

I agree, Rich. So since so-called Customer tables will represent different collections of things, albeit all called customers, what are we to do when trying to compare different Customer tables from different databases? Give up? Appeal to Mirriam-Webster?

The reason the tables are different in detail is that the businesses are different.  There really do need to be Customer tables that account for all the information the business (i.e., the boss) wants to represent, and with the access methods that reach each attribute of the particular Customer table.  For example, many businesses (as you probably know) bill their customers after the labor has been done.  But others collect payment before starting work.  Those businesses that offer products in a retail environment have to keep credit info or they will be ripped off by nonpaying noncustomers.

In short, I don't see a reason why two Customer tables need to be compared.  This is not a conceptual thing alone, it is also a functional, everyday, operational issue that has to be followed and tracked, altered to meet goals, and otherwise fit to the business, not the Customer table identity.

I take it that the whole idea of a Semantic Web is that software can recognize in what respects similar tables are similar but not identical, or by virtue of what identical set of criteria identical tables are identical (whether or not their names are). If this can't be done by software, it has to be done by people, interpreting definitions written down in data dictionaries.

Agreed - this is the standard practice since the tools for models don't translate table designs directly into operational functional software.  That is what SQL etc are for.

Definitions, I will add, that in thirty years plus of IT database modeling and design in the world of commercial IT, I have never found to be anything more than vague glosses on a statement of the criteria that define those tables and that account for their similarities and differences.

Agreed again.  This is the standard practice with the current technologies.

-Rich

In this forum, I believe Pat Hayes to be the most informed expert on the Semantic Web that we have. Perhaps we need to hear from an expert like him, or others, rather than additional comments from an opinionated ersatz academic like myself.

Tom

Pat seems to be at least one of the most knowledgeable, but consider John Sowa, Matthew West, or others on the list.  Those who have practical experience in building and doing would be most appropriate to this discussion instead of those who are most concerned with the purity of philosophical and representational methods are, as you put it, very academic in orientation.    That's a good thing - we have a mix of backgrounds that can show very different viewpoints and explain why their viewpoints are reasonable.

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

Chief Technology Officer,

MetaSemantics Corporation

MetaSemantics AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

( 9 4 9 ) 5 2 5-5 7 1 2

http://www.EnglishLogicKernel.com