Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics, Representations and Grammars for Deep Lea

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 16:07:45 -0400
I'm Skeptical,

A total of 103 references for a 16 page paper seems a bit out of whack. And his approach relies on inputs to the NN's that, "A biologically-plausible deep learning algorithm should take advantage of the particularities of the reinforcement learning setting." That amounts to saying that an appropriately sized corpus is required.

Further, it is always a red flag for me is when someone coins a new term or acronym such as "KICKS", when there are better ways to explain the algorithm. I believe he presents a reasonable overview of some useful techniques that would be better conceived using semantics.

Semantics can help. The reason linguistics provides valuable tools is because natural languages have undergone thousands of years of adaptation and pruning that embody the deep learning of the members of the community of interest. We should take advantage of that learning in a semantic fashion, rather than trying to recreate those lessons. Humans can provide the right answers if we carefully ask the correct questions.

-John Bottoms
 Concord, MA USA