Re: [ontolog-forum] Migration of ontolog-forum mailing list

To: [ontolog-forum] <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Steve Newcomb <srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 12:26:28 -0400
There is an urgent and under-acknowledged general question here.  Is the
internet now humanity's memory?  If so, are humanity's institutions
(customs) up to the challenge of minimizing its forgetfulness?    (01)

As I age, I can see that every generation re-invents whatever it cannot
or will not learn from previous generations.  I also see that the
maintainers of  our memories are not disk drives, nor books, nor
governments, nor corporations.  Only individuals can do it.  By and
large, they appoint themselves to the task, it devours their resources
and their lives, and then, like everyone else, they die. It's just the
human condition: you spend yourself somehow, and the how of that
expenditure may, or may not, matter to future generations.    (02)

Who here are young enough to go some meaningful duration, strong enough
to carry the load, and willing to appoint themselves to undertake the
largely rewardless and expensive task of taking responsibility for the
body of work now known as Ontolog Forum?    (03)

It's definitely not a for-profit venture, and therefore I don't see how
a for-profit corporation can possibly be the vessel of choice. If anyone
here thinks the media companies are trustworthy vessels, I would urge
such a person to consider how the U.S. national policy conversation is
being dominated by a demagogue who's allowing media companies to command
so many eyeballs that he doesn't need to discuss the substance of any
policies, nor to pay for any media time to present them.    (04)