Re: [ontolog-forum] Natural logic

To: [ontolog-forum] <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 08:59:19 -0400

Gregg --    (01)

I did reference sign language in my post -- primarily because John's
presentation does mention sign language and I thought it was relevant.
But you are right to raise the point.    (02)

I looked briefly at one of McNeill's writings -- "Gesture: A
psycholinguistic approach" -- which contains lots of interesting
research and assertions. I would be interested in learning how experts
in the field connect the various kinds of gestures with "knowledge,"
meaning, and logic ... and how that might differ from the connection
between speech and knowledge (and logic) or throw more light on the
subject.    (03)

Speech and the written word influence everything, it seems, including
conscious, deliberate gestures. Is it possible today to study
communication in gestures in isolation?    (04)

Are there any parallels between the meaning of gestures and the
"meaning" of various kinds of Speech Acts -- e.g. Request, Offer,
Acknowledge, Promise, Counter-offer, Decline? I don't know. That just
popped into my head. I'm not a fan of Speech Acts. Gestures seem like a
more grounded path to the study of meaning.    (05)

I suspect that most people focus on our most common mode of
communication (speech and written representations of speech), just as I
do. More than ever, communication proceeds without any gestures at all.
Perhaps we lose meaning in such gesture-less exchanges. Perhaps we try
to make up for that loss with emoticons, emojis, and non-standard uses
of punctuation and capitalization. (My Windows phone inserted an
*appropriate* emoji into a recent text to one of my daughters. I didn't
notice it. She thought it was funny coming from me.)    (06)

Thanks for the reply.    (07)

      Phil    (08)