Re: [ontolog-forum] STANDARD ONTOLOGY: USECS: The Catalog of World Entit

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Azamat Abdoullaev <ontopaedia@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 22:23:06 +0300

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 11:12 PM, Thomas Johnston <tmj44p@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Ed,
I sadly agree with your description of what's "NEW" (and "IMPROVED", of course) in software.

And while the immanent prospect of liability wonderfully focuses the mind (to paraphrase Samuel Johnson), I think that what distinguishes the reliable software you describe from the rest isn't just the liability. It's the consequences of the real-time nature of the software.

If software for a medical device that is keeping someone alive malfunctions, then that person may die before medical personnel can intervene. If the autopilot software for airplanes malfunctions, even greater disasters may occur. If router software in wide-area networks malfunctions, millions of messages may be lost, or may arrive too late to influence actions (like financial transactions).

On the other hand, if insurance claims-processing software malfunctions, the member (insured party) will point it out; and even if it takes a few weeks, the mistake will be corrected. Same thing for payroll, A/R, A/P and industry-specific OLTP  and data warehousing software.

So the critical software is the software that, if it malfunctions, may cause a disaster, and may do so too quickly for human intervention to prevent it.

I think that the reason so much commercial software is so lousy is that we are willing to tolerate the mistakes it creates, and to rely on human intervention to compensate for those mistakes. And possibly this is a better (more rational) choice than taking on the cost of making that software more reliable! The issue is which revenue minus cost is greater: (a) unreliable software plus the personnel required to compensate for its mistakes; or (b) highly reliable software plus many fewer such compensating personnel.

Personally, I believe that if we could measure the strategic costs of lousy commercial software and not just the tactical costs, we would find that we should indeed invest a lot more in producing more reliable commercial software. But that isn't a given.

Tom