Re: [ontolog-forum] Claim: "All people use the same brain signatures whe

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <metasemantics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 10:35:33 -0700

The study described in my previous post is better described (marginally) in this article:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-03-science-brain.html#nRlv

From that article, it is clear that they were only distinguishing among four concepts as measured in 16 human brains during fMRI stimuli of the concepts:

Just and his CMU colleague Robert Mason, the lead author of the study, scanned the brains of 16 healthy adults as they learned for the first time how four common mechanical systems work. While inside the brain scanner, the participants were shown a series of pictures, diagrams and text that described the internal workings of a bathroom scale, fire extinguisher, automobile braking system and trumpet.

The paucity of experimental conditions would seem to explain how they all got the "same" concept - there simply weren't enough samples of concepts to do a fair job of distinguishing among them.  With many more concepts and many more subjects, I would bet that the "signature" of each concept differs substantially among populations larger than 16, and with more than 4 concepts to distinguish.

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

Chief Technology Officer,

MetaSemantics Corporation

MetaSemantics AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

( 9 4 9 ) 5 2 5-5 7 1 2

http://www.EnglishLogicKernel.com