Re: [ontolog-forum] Looking for some pragmatic guidance on modeling rela

To: Steve Ray <steve.ray@xxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <rrovetto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 14:49:59 -0400
Great question. This sounds like a project I'd want to engage in.

I know of no foundational ontology that can adequately treat Relativity, let alone of dynamic phenomena.
I know of internal efforts in some foundational ontologies to better address frames of reference, for instance, but it's treatment of time is alone the traditional endurantist-perdurantist dichotomy. (These efforts being the result of user comments and complaints)

As for domain-specific ontologies, I know of no GR ontology or even a more general physics ontology. NASA has it's SWEET ontologies, of which I have some experience, and they have more than one class for time, as well as classes for reference frames, but I do not know if relativistic phenomena can be represented (I don't believe so).
There is, of course, extensive literature in philosophy of GR, which provide insights into different models for applied ontologies, including potential categories (classes).

I suppose one can take any existing ontology and try to build upon its treatment of time, suggesting particular changes or additions to its developers.

It would be interesting to develop a temporal framework for an ontology in which time is, say, asserted as having a feature of rate; or perhaps a framework in which there are multiple potential timelines based on the reference frame; or in which time is more closely related to change vis-a-vis processual classes.
I suspect some of this would address the need for clocks ticking at different rates.

One question among many to ask would be: In developing a framework for relativistic time, shall we use the traditional endurantist-perdurantist dichotomy, one or other other of the two, or something new.

Dr.Ray, please let me know if there is any room on projects...or potential for creating them.

Respectfully,
Robert Rovetto