Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Mungall" <cjmungall@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 20:35:15 -0700

On 18 Mar 2015, at 19:08, William Frank wrote:    (01)

> Chris,
>

> *I do not think the issue is that there is no difference between
> things
> that happen and things that stay around for a long time.   The issue
> is, as
> you say, people have to **decide** how most effectively to CAST the
> concept, from among some useful set of categories, given what they are
> trying to do.    Only the decision is a human one, not one forced by
> nature.  *    (02)

no problem with that    (03)

> *I am so **perplexed** by how what is easy in any rich logical
> representation with an expressive power even slightly close to that of
> natural language, becomes a 'problem' that seems to plague
> ontologists.
> The problems are a result of starting by choosing an unexpressive
> language.
> *    (04)

perhaps    (05)

> *just for many examples from this thread,  the excellent Mathew West
> says: **MW>]
> It sounds like you favour things like the President and such like as
> classes. I won’t say that you can’t do it, but I find it
> unattractive. I
> would want to be able to say that the President of the United States
> signed
> a treaty, but classes do not make good actors as abstract objects, so
> there
> are more contortions to be gone through.*
>

> **the* President would indeed be a poor class *
>
> *but *
>

> *'x is president of y' is a nice relation, with two roles, by adding
> the
> implicit constraint that *
>

> *at time t, for each y, there can be at most one x who is president of
> y  *
>
> *then, *
>

> *using the iota operator (that object such that - an analog to the
> lamda
> operator  for functions) *
>
> *let P = *
>

> *that object o such that at time t, o is the president of the United
> States
> *
>
> *and use the relation 'x signs y', so that *
>

> *for treaty T, *
>

> *at time t, P signs T. *
>

> *Tells this story, to me, completely naturally.   Not a contortion,
> but an
> 'unpacking' of the complex, dense way in which people talk. *    (06)

ok, not sure where this is going. I'm reasonably familiar with how to
translate natural language statements to FOL.    (07)

> *Any such language will have from 5 to ten different categories of
> being,
> (hard to beat Aristotle's, I agree).  *
> *And any good data model I have seen recently will let you say these
> kinds
> of things.  And, if an 'ontological language' can't say them, or makes
> it
> hard to say them, then how is the ontology going to allow us to easily
> *translate* between these lowly data models? *
>

> *It is possible, in any such rich language, to RECAST something in one
> category into another.  This does not mean they are 'really' the same.
> or
> that there is 'really' only one kind of thing.  (when anybody says
> 'really', if you are a practical person, run.) Why would it be
> beneficial
> to recast everything into **one** category.  I may be wrong, but I
> don't
> think anyone suggested that this was a good idea.  Should we forget
> about
> money and integers and strings and only talk hexadecimal?  Given a
> problem
> domain, casting things one way or another will prove to be the most
> useful.   Sometimes, we want color to only be an attribute, say,
> talking
> about bears, sometimes, we want colors to be things, say, talking
> about the
> effects of colors on moods.  *
>

> *So, the only 'problems' I see are that people 'code first, think
> later'.
> Let's start by creating a Procrustean bed ,an ontological straight
> jacket,
> in which, for example, you are not allowed to speak of times, maybe no
> states that things can be in during a time period, (such as a bannana
> that
> will be ripe for a given period of time, then rotten, then completely
> gone
> as it was consumed by microorganisms), where we are not allowed to
> treat
> the process of ripening as much of a first class citizen as the
> bannana,    (08)

OK, now I'm not follow. What does "first class citizen" mean here?    (09)

All I'm saying is that we treat 'banana' and 'banana ripening' as
distinct classes. I wasn't proscribing any kind of talk of the two at
the same time.    (010)

> or
> are not allowed to treat the relation between the bannana and the tree
> it
> is growing on as a first class citizen, where probably no instances of
> relations are allowed, so that we are not allowed to refer to Tom and
> Linda's marriage, where being the officiator of that marriage can't be
> treated as a role in that marriage, or where the relational type
> marriage
> can't have roles like officiator, where for some reason, there are
> either
> no sets or no composites of other things - you have to choose which,
> Then
> we can happily say 'oh gee' we've got a real problem here    (011)

This definitely sounds like a real problem. But it's not a problem that
maps to anything I'm familiar with.    (012)

> -- how are we
> going to deal with the fact that customers come and go, and that when
> you
> say 'customer' you always mean the customer of something, and it
> becomes a
> 'problem' that the same company might be both a customer and a vendor.
> This can keep us employed solving 'problems', I guess. *
>

> *These are **manufactured** problems.    I see similar kinds of
> 'problems'
> increasingly discussed  among those following the fashion for 'Dogma
> Driven
> Development'. *    (013)

Thanks. Sorry if I missed some of your points. I', certainly in favor of
driving development from practical requirements rather than dogma.    (014)