Re: [ontolog-forum] SME (subject matter experts) and Ontology developeme

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 07:22:14 -0000
Dear John,
I agree there is much that can be done, particularly in linguistic analysis
of documents, identifying and extracting terms, events, and relationships at
the instance level, and this will be useful in its own right. The results
are at the folksonomy end of the ontology scale, but this is often enough to
add considerable value.
This however is not going to extract tacit knowledge from SMEs.    (01)

Regards    (02)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire,
SG6 2SU.    (03)

Dear Matthew,    (04)

JFS
> For the future, I believe that we can and should develop*automated* or
> at least *semi-automated* tools that can help extract the underlying
> assumptions from anyone -- even a SME.    (05)

MW
> I admire the ambition.  Generally, you can only automate things where
> you have reliable and repeatable procedures. We don't. At best we have
> methodologies that need training in, and experience of execution
> before a new member of the fraternity can be welcomed. Indeed at
> present if I had to choose one of the SME or KE to develop an ontology
> for a domain, I'd go for the KE. It will generally be easier for him
> to become an expert in some domain, than for the SME to become a KE.    (06)

I agree.  But there are huge numbers of tasks that could benefit from
ontologies, but only large corporations or governments can afford to train
KEs to that level of expertise.  Even large businesses don't use ontologies
as well or as often as they could because they require a very clear
"business case" before they would consider that expense.    (07)

Hashtags and folksonomies are a "poor man's" replacement for ontologies.
The next step up are things like Schema.org, which are slightly more than
systematic terminologies.  There are millions of people on that continuum
from hashtags to folksonomies to Schema.org to the highly structured
ontologies used at Shell.    (08)

And there are many people (VivoMind included) that are designing novel
technologies for addressing the continuum.  For examples, look at the
methods for automatically extracting ontologies from documents:
http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/goal7.pdf    (09)

This is still a research area, but work is proceeding at many institutions.
I expect the new tools to revolutionize the methods of software design and
development.  The examples in goal7.pdf are promising steps.  And such tools
can also be used to enable today's KEs to address new areas of expertise
more rapidly and thoroughly.    (010)