Re: [ontolog-forum] master data vs. ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Thomas Johnston <tmj44p@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 08:26:51 -0800
Erick,

I like your proposal to use "knowledgebase" as, in effect, referring to the union of a set of statements about tokens with a set of statements about types.

But if I recall from my reading, several years ago, of Brachman and Levesque's book Knowledge Representation, I suspect that the standard use of the term "knowledgebase" (i.e. the use by such experts as those authors, Sowa, and others) is that a knowledgebase is a set of statements about tokens, but embedded in a logic that can be used to carry out inferences on those statements, as relational DBMSs cannot do. (On the other hand, how could deductive inferences about relationships among tokens be carried out unless the formalism included second-order statements about those relationships (such as reflexive, symmetric, transitive), expressed either as rules of inference for the formalism, or as axioms of a specific system?)

And I don't want to use "knowledgebase" in that "union" sense of the term if there is already a well-established accepted use which differs from that.

Perhaps John can enlighten us.