Re: [ontolog-forum] master data vs. ontologies

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 16:48:33 -0500
On 2/12/15 3:54 PM, Ravi Sharma wrote:
All
Wonderful and illuminating and John I appreciate and mostly agree.
  1. We need formalization, namely on how to interact, map or integrate the two.
  2. Specifically relate Enterprise Data Dictionaries (associated entities and schemas as well) and logically developed Ontologies i.e. with associated things and predicates.
  3. Do any mapping tools exist? I have only seen associative or parallel semantic method (manual) of looking at Terms and mapping to Entities in OWL- RDF use case and with DB E-R.
  4. Are organizations such as OMG and W3C doing it already ( as part of or beyond ODM)?
Regards,
Ravi

Ravi,

There is a TURTLE [1] based notation called R2RML [2] that enables one describe how relational tables (documents typically *tightly-bound* to a SQL RDBMS application)  are to be transformed into RDF relation property/predicate graphs (documents which are typically *loosely-bound* to an RDF RDBMS application).

Links:

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/turtle/ -- TURTLE
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/r2rml/ -- R2RML
[3] http://kidehen.blogspot.com/2014/12/deceptively-simple-conceptual-data.html -- R2RML usage in action (in this case my tool of choice [our Virtuoso Hybrid RDBMS] offers the ability to load and apply R2RML from a 3rd party system or generate R2RML for usage by a 3rd party system) .

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO