Re: [ontolog-forum] master data vs. ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ravi Sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:06:54 -0800
John

Wow! One page of great goodies.

I have worked with Zachman as first Enterprise Architect at GM 2000-2005. I did not know that you helped go to 6X6 from 3 rows. Thanks for the link and paper.

Q1. At that time (Before SOA frameworks) were these the irreducible representations for a general large Enterprise (e.g. Industry, Financial services, Gov. Organizations)? Now Services frames and detailed Security Architecture implementations etc. have made separation into clean cells difficult? I will also read if your and Zachman's paper enlightens this question?

Yes IBM zig-zag path through acquisitions have caused problems. (Rose, Telelogic-Popkin, ILog, -
are not fully integrated)  WebSphere - ESB Integration and now decision making products do not have integration expected from one vendor's own products. Yet being the giant elephant that it is fortunately many integrations have been forced by users and its own business offerings. However DODAF, TOGAF, FEAF and SOA integration with Zachman Framework are offered in SIngle Product System Architect. Still shortcomings on XMI? etc.

Q2. On the Topic MDM and Ontology does Infosphere Data Architect (which I believe is a new offering) come as a workable solution even if some Tool-Break aspects are manually or through import export addressed?
Regards,
Ravi

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2015-02-17 at 13:42 -0500, John F Sowa wrote:

> Fundamental principle:  A modest amount logic can clarify and relate
> the patterns that relate and interconnect data of any kind in any
> format whatsoever.  Prolog is what XSLT should have been -- and still
> could be.  (It's easy to map XSLT rules to Prolog rules for the legacy
> stuff -- using Prolog, of course.)

Intriguing. References to examples, implementations, reports?

Thanks,
--Paul

--
Thanks.