Re: [ontolog-forum] Financial Industry Business Ontology (FIBO)

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:35:09 -0500
On 12/16/14 1:57 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>> Naming in the FIBO standard has UpperCamelCase for classes and
>> lowerCamelCase for properties, as per OWL naming conventions.
>> Business facing labels are upper and lower case with spaces, to be
>> human readable (as previously noted, we were never "discussing
>> matters with a technical audience").
>
> In this situation you solve the problem as follows:
>
> <#SomeClass>
> a owl:Class ;
> rdfs:label "SomeClass";
> skos:altLabel "Some Class";
> skos:prefLabel "Some Class" ;
> rdfs:comment "{language-tagged-human-reader-oriented-sentences}" .
>

> A consumer of the data above can then apply reasoning and inference en
> route to constructing <a
> href="{uri}">{value-of-annotation-property}</a>, ditto language tag
> preferences so we drop the habit of only writing for English speakers
> i.e., use RDF language tags to aid crowd-sourcing of content in many
> human natural languages . That's how we solve the issue in our Linked
> Data browser which will choose the value of skos:prefLabel, and
> determine language preference etc..
>
> Based on what's presented at
> <http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9BN322EX>, Here's some nanotation
> to actually fix the problem, using the hueristic above, via this post:
>
> ## Nanotation Start ##
>

><http://www.omg.org/spec/EDMC-FIBO/FND/Utilities/AnnotationVocabulary/nameOrigin>
> rdfs:label "nameOrigin" ;
> skos:altLabel "name origin" ;
> skos:prefLabel "nameOrigin" .
>
> ## Nanotation End ##    (01)

Mike,    (02)

Forgot to respond with live links showing the effect of processing the
nanotation-laced email snippet above, in regards to dealing with the
fact that you would like to have different entity labels for different
audiences:    (03)

1. http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9DK4OKOT -- relations from FIBO,
COSMO, and Email included
2. http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9BF6IZIH -- COSMO excluded .    (04)

If anyone else wants to explore this further, here's all you have to do
re., using email threads to tweak Linked Open Data:    (05)

1. use ## Nanotation Start ## as your start of nanotation indicator
2. use ## Nanotation End ## as your end of nanotation indicator
3. insert your nanotations (basically relations represented in TURTLE
notation) within the aforementioned nanotation delimiters
4. save and send your post to the mailing list
5. use the HTML view of the mailing list to obtain the HTTP URI/URL of
your post.    (06)

Once the steps above are completed you can then use our public Linked
Open Data transformation service [1] to achieve the following:    (07)

1. extract nanotation base relations from your mailing list post
2. insert relations into a named graph in the DBMS behind our service
3. create a variety of views of you data (on its own or meshed with
existing data in the DBMS).    (08)

The HTTP URI/URL patterns for achieving the above are any of the following:    (09)

2.

part}.    (011)

Examples:    (012)

1.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2014-12/msg00095.html
2.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2014-12/msg00095.html    (013)

.    (014)

For the alternative deeper faceted browsing view, simply click on the
"Facets" link in the page footer, which brings you to:    (015)

1.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Flinkeddata.uriburner.com%2Fabout%2Fid%2Fentity%2Fhttp%2Fontolog.cim3.net%2Fforum%2Fontolog-forum%2F2014-12%2Fmsg00095.html    (016)

2. http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9B5X6OIF -- specific page of
interest via use of the paging oriented navigation controls    (017)

3. http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9BFPOJXC -- about a specific statement    (018)

4. http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9DK4OKOT -- specifically about the
nameOrigin property    (019)

5.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/fct/rdfdesc/usage.vsp?g=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.omg.org%2Fspec%2FEDMC-FIBO%2FFND%2FUtilities%2FAnnotationVocabulary%2FnameOrigin    (020)

-- specific named graphs (internal DBMS document identifiers) showing
the sources of relations associated with the nameOrigin property.    (021)

I hopes this helps, especially in regards to handling the fundamental
fact that there's no such thing as a perfect ontology, especially when
the target audience is a broad diversity of cognitive beings :)    (022)

--
Regards,    (023)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO