[ontolog-forum] Paleo Deep Dive - SW that does Knowledge Acquisition and

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 12:41:24 -0800

Dear Ontologers,

Here is Kurzweil’s review of a PLOS paper re a knowledge acquisition system that takes in scientific papers by the tens of thousands and produces a database of the papers plus was to organize them:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/software-equal-to-or-better-than-humans-at-cataloging-published-science-data?utm_source=KurzweilAI+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=f3e59f910c-UA-946742-1&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6de721fb33-f3e59f910c-282097209

I changed the font of the  URL, which otherwise takes three lines, to size 3 before I could get the whole thing on one line above, so just click on it, don’t bother to read it without resizing the URL.  It’s huge.

Here is a short clipping from that page:

The project required a million hours of computer time. It also required access to tens of thousands of articles, says Jacquelyn Crinion, assistant director of licensing and acquisitions services at the UW–Madison General Library System. And the download volume threatened logjams in document delivery. Eventually, Elsevier gave the UW-Madison team broad access to 10,000 downloads per week.

As text- and data-mining takes off, Crinion says the library system and publishers will adapt. “The challenge for all of us is to provide specialized services for researchers while continuing to meet the core needs of the vast majority of our customers.”

The Paleobiology Database has already generated hundreds of studies about the history of life, Peters says. “Ultimately, we hope to have the ability to create a computer system that can do almost immediately what many geologists and paleontologists try to do on a smaller scale over a lifetime: read a bunch of papers, arrange a bunch of facts, and relate them to one another in order to address big questions.”

Similar approaches might be developed for other high volume scientific verticals where economically justified.

Forming ontologies from such a database could possibly be an automated process.  Write a program that reads this database and organizes the indexed information into a logical structured form including classes, inference rules, and other material that can be assembled and checked for consistency against the various documents, then merged for various classes of documents.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com