Re: [ontolog-forum] Metaphor and memes in belief groups

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:18:11 -0700

In some peacetime future, the DoD will likely release unclassified versions of their work, if it's any good.  They've been pretty good at transitioning technology to the public.  Sometimes, it happens through engineers polished by the defense contractors who leave and start their own businesses with the knowledge gained from defense work.

Below is a PLOSOne article about metaphor and how it affects reasoning as shown in five experiments.  http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0016782

Here is the abstract:

The way we talk about complex and abstract ideas is suffused with metaphor. In five experiments, we explore how these metaphors influence the way that we reason about complex issues and forage for further information about them. We find that even the subtlest instantiation of a metaphor (via a single word) can have a powerful influence over how people attempt to solve social problems like crime and how they gather information to make “well-informed” decisions. Interestingly, we find that the influence of the metaphorical framing effect is covert: people do not recognize metaphors as influential in their decisions; instead they point to more “substantive” (often numerical) information as the motivation for their problem-solving decision. Metaphors in language appear to instantiate frame-consistent knowledge structures and invite structurally consistent inferences. Far from being mere rhetorical flourishes, metaphors have profound influences on how we conceptualize and act with respect to important societal issues. We find that exposure to even a single metaphor can induce substantial differences in opinion about how to solve social problems: differences that are larger, for example, than pre-existing differences in opinion between Democrats and Republicans.

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com