Re: [ontolog-forum] Massive Ontology Interface

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 21:07:25 -0400
On 10/1/14 8:34 PM, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
Kingsley,

I've been browsing thru your OpenLinks, and have several questions:

1) How many of your concepts map to OpenCyc concepts?
Although the English labels "sound" like OpenCyc, most of
the http://sw.opencyc.org/concept/ links are hidden under
the English labels.

I map to OpenCyc as and when needed, in my nanotations. On a separate front, we have OpenCyc, UMBEL, DBpedia, and Yago data loaded into the LOD Cloud cache instance we maintain [1].

2) Did you extract all the OpenCyc properties of concepts
from the OWL representation?

We uploaded an RDF dump of OpenCyc data.

I am especially interested because I have been experimenting
with my own interface to OpenCyc for some time.  For ordinary
human beings, it is a challenge to discover how our concepts
map to OpenCyc concepts.  I picked one "English" property
           cyc:CycAnnotations_v1#label
which I thought was most informative, and recorded the
150,000+ mappings of [concept,property]
            http://mkrmke.net/knowledge/cyc/cyclabel.mkr

In mKE, I do a regular _expression_ match against the English
label, and then use a browser to view the OpenCyc concept
online.

Ah! Now I get a better sense of your opening questions. In our RDF RDBMS (known as Virtuoso) we an in-built entity relationship browser that uses reasoning and inference to present labels (where such exist) instead of raw HTTP URIs. Thus, you end up with <a href="" presented where you would normally see an HTTP URI.

The next logical step, automatically getting links to the
desired properties of the concept, has so far been available
only on ResearchCyc.  Cycorp plans to add that capability to
OpenCyc in the near future [ I have no date for the release].

Here's a simple example of an mKE search:
 ke$ guid := do find od sail*boat with value in cyclabel;
cyclabel[Mx4rGcydXRL_T0y7b5O2vRnmig] := <Wn-20-synset-sailboat-noun-1> @en;
cyclabel[Mx4rvVjW8JwpEbGdrcN5Y29ycA] := <Sailboat> @en;
cyclabel[Mx8Ngh4rv3tMrJwpEbGdrcN5Y29ycB4rvVjW8JwpEbGdrcN5Y29ycA] := <(TransportViaFn Sailboat)> @en;
ke$ ! firefox od http://sw.opencyc.org/concept/$guid;

The Massive Ontology Interface returns 2 matches for "sailboat"
and no matches for "sail boat".

I tried to search your OpenLink website, Kingsley, but I got

The web-site you are currently trying to access is
 under maintenance at this time.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Yes, its under maintenance currently, just try again. Repeat the search on "Sailboat" or any other term.

Kingsley

Dick McCullough
Context Knowledge Systems
What is your view?