Re: [ontolog-forum] Massive Ontology Interface

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 11:26:39 -0700

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For a front-end to OpenCyc, see the abstract below.  That web page
has a link to the PDF for the full paper.

The concluding paragraph:
> Ontology interface design is in its infancy.  Ironically (given the
> relative maturity of the two fields) it is more common to try to use
> ontology as a tool in HCI development than to use HCI as a tool in
> ontology development.  We have made gains in shifting a ‘classic’
> ontology interface from expert-user-only to a state such that the
> general public may contribute to it if they wish.  Our results indicate
> that the interface we developed does encourage users to become involved
> in contributing to ontological knowledge.  With increased user uptake,
> the quality of the information contained within the ontology will
> improve,  as well as using user feedback as an evaluation mechanism.

One of the co-authors, Cathy Legg, had worked at Cyc for some years,
and they have been testing the interface on university students.
So that gives them some perspective from users, teachers, and
developers.

John

Source: http://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/handle/10289/8410

Massive ontology interface

Citation: Stannett, M., Legg, C. & Sarjant, S. (2013). Massive ontology
interface. Paper presented at CHINZ 2013: 14th Annual Conference of the
New Zealand Chapter of the ACM Special Interest Group on Computer-Human
Interaction, 15-16 November 2013 — Christchurch, New Zealand.

This paper describes the Massive Ontology Interface (MOI), a web portal
which facilitates interaction with a large ontology (over 200,000
concepts and 1.6M assertions) that is built automatically using OpenCyc
as a backbone. The aim of the interface is to simplify interaction with
the massive amounts of information and guide the user towards
understanding the ontology’s data. Using either a text or graph-based
representation, users can discuss and edit the ontology. Social elements
utilizing gamification techniques are included to encourage users to
create and collaborate on stored knowledge as part of a web community.

An evaluation by 30 users comparing MOI with OpenCyc’s original
interface showed significant improvements in user understanding of the
ontology, although full testing of the interface’s social elements lies
in the future.