Re: [ontolog-forum] Requesting Opinions on the Benefits of Predicates as

To: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Frank Guerino <Frank.Guerino@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 12:54:36 -0400
Hi Ed,

Your explanation is very clear.  Thanks.  I appreciate your taking the time to break it all down according to what I did or did not understand.  That helps a great deal.

Also, while your example of "Message MM78910 says (#asserts) that Shipment XX1234 is in New York" is very clear, I have a follow-up question.  Are Assertions nothing more than short-cut "joins" through multiple degrees of separation in a graph?

In other words… I may be wrong but I believe your example could be completely modeled in a graph with no notion of an Assertion, at all.  For example…

  • Relationship 1 :: S = "Message MM78910", P = "Describes" (or "Contains"), O = "Shipment XX1234"
  • Relationship 2 :: S = "Shipment XX1234", P ="is in", O = "New York"

In the above example, wouldn't the Assertion be implied, confirmed, and just as valid through a join of the two Relationships through the vertex node "Shipment XX1234"… or, am I missing something?  If my interpretation is accurate, then isn't an Assertion just a short-cut or short-hand notation for joining across a more granular or decomposed graph structure?

Thanks,

Frank
--
Frank Guerino, Chairman
The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)