Re: [ontolog-forum] The Passing of George Thomas, HealthData.gov Archite

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Suzanne Thomas <suzanne.dunlap@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 17:08:32 -0700
Relaying a Press Release that I learned about via Suzanne Thomas ...    (01)

===    (02)

ref. http://www.healthdataconsortium.org/programs-thomas-fellow    (03)

Health Data Consortium Announces Memorial Health Data Sciences
Fellowship to Continue Advances in Open Health Data    (04)

Fellowship honors contributions of health data pioneer George Thomas,
former HHS chief data architect    (05)

Washington, D.C. — June 2, 2014 — At today’s Health Datapalooza event
in Washington, D.C., before a gathering of more than 2,000 leaders in
health, technology, government and business, the Health Data
Consortium announced the establishment of the George Thomas
Post-Graduate Fellowship in Health Data Science and Engineering.
Health Data Consortium (HDC), a 501(c)3 non-profit, public-private
partnership fosters the availability and innovative use of open health
data to improve health and health care for all people. This new
fellowship is named in honor of George Thomas, a pioneer in advancing
standards, open data and linked data throughout the government, who
served as the chief architect of HealthData.gov.    (06)

The HDC fellowship honors the memory and contributions of George
Thomas, former chief data architect for the Office of the Chief
Information Officer at the U.S. Department of Health and Human
Services. His legacy includes seminal contributions to the design,
technical engineering and policy development which enabled the dawn of
open public health data. These advances were critical to the early
successes of the Health Data Initiative and Health Datapalooza. The
fellowship will be awarded to the institution and candidate who best
represent the mission to advance data science in health care in the
spirit of George Thomas.    (07)

“George Thomas was a visionary, paving the way for a renaissance in
health care by applying his technological expertise to complex data
access issues. His passion, drive and complete dedication to the
promise he saw in using data for the well-being of others was, and
continues to be, an inspiration,” said Dwayne Spradlin, Health Data
Consortium Chief Executive Officer. “Health Data Consortium is proud
to honor George and his legacy with the George Thomas Post-Graduate
Fellowship in Health Data Science and Engineering.”    (08)

The annual post-graduate fellowship of $80,000 will support an
individual for one year of graduate work focused on key problems in
data infrastructure and architecture that will help to overcome
barriers in analytics, interoperability, machine-learning or related
areas. A national competition for the fellowship award sponsored by
HDC will open to applicants starting late summer 2014, with an award
made in the fall of 2014.    (09)

"George's mission was to create technologies that pushed the envelope,
making health data available, accessible, shareable and interoperable
in order to improve people's lives," said George's wife, Suzanne
Thomas. "George did not have the opportunity to see his life's work
come to full fruition, but this fellowship will allow others to carry
the torch ignited by George's work."    (010)

For more information about the fellowship competition, visit
www.healthdataconsortium.org. To learn more about Health Datapalooza
2014 visit www.healthdatapalooza.org or #hdpalooza on Twitter.    (011)

# # #    (012)

About the Health Data Consortium    (013)

Health Data Consortium is a collaboration among government,
non-profit, and private sector organizations working to foster the
availability and innovative use of data to improve health and health
care. The Consortium advocates for health data liberation; promotes
best practices and information sharing; and works with businesses,
entrepreneurs, and academia to help them understand how to use health
data to develop new products, services, apps, and research insights.
Learn more at www.healthdataconsortium.org or @hdconsortium on
Twitter.    (014)

===    (015)