[ontolog-forum] Languages, Structures, and Diagramming

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 09:13:56 -0400
Andrea and Leo,    (01)

I agree with Leo that the automatic generation of diagrams for
OWL RDF/XML ontologies is useful.  But I changed the subject line
to broaden the scope to a wider range of issues -- including a
recent note by Noam Chomsky to Lotfi Zadeh (copy below).    (02)

AW
> Recently, there were some emails on the Linked Data community
> distribution list about the tools used to generate the LOD cloud
> diagram. One of the replies discussed a very simple approach -
> using GraphML and the yEd editor
> http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_applicationfeatures.html    (03)

One thing that's great about yEd is the ability to generate an
open-ended variety of diagram styles to highlight the structures
that may be significant for various problems, applications,
ontologies, and methodologies.    (04)

This raises another question about the relationships among various
kinds of languages -- natural, artificial, controlled natural -- and
diagramming techniques for analyzing or representing what they say.    (05)

That leads to a point by Chomsky (from the note below):    (06)

NC
> it’s necessary to distinguish sharply between the theory of formal
> languages and the study of natural language.  There’s almost no
> connection between the two...    (07)

I agree that the theories are different.  But they can express the
same information, which can be (and has been) diagrammed with the
same kinds of methods.    (08)

NLs can represent anything and everything that anybody has ever said
in any formal notation, but they're not as tightly structured.  Many
people use diagrams as intermediate notations for mapping NLs to
formal languages of various kinds.    (09)

Question:  How can we develop the informal methods into a more
systematic methodology for relating NLs to various formalisms?    (010)

John    (011)