Re: [ontolog-forum] Intentionality Best Practices

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 13:48:44 -0400

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Obrst, Leo J. <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And similarly in the heyday of intelligent agent technology, speech acts were at the basis of KQML, FIPA, etc. The high-end logical agents called BDI (Belief-Desire-Intent) agents of Rao & Georgeff [1] tried to model at least planning aspects.

Communication among agents was nearly always speech act-based, with KQML, e.g., having a speech act like ask, tell, etc., associated with an assertional or query packet of knowledge based on some KR language, i.e., rooted in an ontology and knowledge base.

Yes, but also thanks for the references.  What I was unaware of is that, like RM-ODP, some of these agent-based communications models are  based on an ontology for intentionality,  explicating concepts such as community, goal, policy, deontic terms, role, process, etc. in relation to each other, as a foundation for the meanings of different speech acts, thus, I believe, fullfilling what I thought John Bottoms was asking for:

This leaves me with the other issue concerning implementation of an intentionality. Given my view of the framework of an open discussion, it seems like it should be possible to construct a rubric of the Roberts Rules of Order in an ontological style. Maybe that should be the way to proceed.

I was responding also to John Sowa's statement that considering intentionality was somehow against the views of professional philosophers during this period, except perhaps for Searle.   I did not find it so.  In the course I took in "Moral Psychology" as a philosophy graduate student at the U of Chicago, that is what it was all about.  This is where I learned about John Austin, on whose ideas Searle so heavily depends.  Even in the philosophy of science there, which was then heavily Karl Popper oriented, intentionality was a topic, and part of the 'death knell for positivism".  I understood positivism to be the foundation for the silliness of behaviorism in psychology.

Husserl, as John Sowa has mentioned, focused anew on intentionality, as part of his general account of phenomenology.

In formal ontology and ontological engineering, intentionality is very important for describing and axiomatizing artifacts, e.g., the top-level of the so-called “entity stacking” view of Vieu et al (2008) [2].

Thanks,

Leo

[1] Rao, Anand; Georgeff, Michael.  1995.  BDI Agents: From Theory to Practice.  Australian Artificial Intelligence Institute, Melbourne, Australia.  In ICMAS-95.

[2] Vieu, Laure, Stefano Borgo, and Claudio Masolo. 2008. Artefacts and Roles: Modelling Strategies in a Multiplicative Ontology. Formal Ontology in Information Systems, C. Eschenbach and M. Grüninger (Eds.) IOS Press, 2008.