Re: [ontolog-forum] Well written blog post re Words and Dictionaries

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 16:55:35 +0100
Dear John,
I don't think you should really talk about the history of English
dictionaries without mentioning Samuel Johnson. Although not the first, his
is the most famous or early English Dictionaries, published in 1755. He even
used wit and humour, defining a lexicographer as "..a harmless drudge, that
busies himself in tracing the original, and detailing the significations of
words". The second edition of his dictionary is contemporaneous with
Webster's.
I don't think the English have ever considered Webster's as anything other
than a dictionary of American English (which is indeed what it claims to be)
and so not reliable for either spellings or usages of English words.    (01)

Regards    (02)

Matthew West
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk    (03)