Re: [ontolog-forum] axiom & mKR experiment

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 23:49:10 -0400
Dick,    (01)

I did spend some time going through your documentation.    (02)

RHM
> My only goal is to contribute a useful tool to ontology engineers.
>
> Do YOUR homework.    (03)

I admit that you have indeed done a lot of very hard work to
implement software that you have found useful.  But it's too bad
that you didn't collaborate with some group that could use your
tools.  That would be the only way to get anybody to use them.    (04)

There's a sad fact that IBM, DoD, and other large organizations
learned the hard way:  Nobody will ever switch to a new language.    (05)

There are some languages that take off like a rocket -- but only
if they meet just the right needs at just the right time.
An example is HTML in 1991.  Another example is PHP.    (06)

IBM spent millions on PL/I and failed to make it successful.
DoD spent millions on Ada without success.  The W3C tried
to replace HTML with XML without success.  They finally
caved in and produced HTML5.    (07)

SourceForge has thousands of interesting languages and tools
that people can't give away.  You can post mKR on SourceForge,
and it will be totally ignored.  You can SPAM Ontolog Forum
with hundreds of notes, and nobody will adopt your notation.    (08)

Even making something a official standard won't help.  I stated the
following "Law of Standards" in 1991, and it's just as true as ever:    (09)

JFS

For examples, see http://www.jfsowa.com/computer/standard.htm    (011)