Re: [ontolog-forum] Formal or functional specifications

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bruce Schuman" <bruceschuman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:41:57 -0700
Thank you.    (01)

For me to comment in any reliable detail on Ashby is not so easy.  I read
the book so many years ago, and didn't fully understand it then.  But it was
still a big influence on me, mostly for its strict formal methods, and the
parts I did understand -- which I tended to apply to studies in psychology
and epistemology, which I wanted to base on robust system methods.  I had
the feeling then that Ashby had come to some rather amazing conclusions
based on mathematics and system theory alone -- and that these conclusions
did not seem to be fully appreciated or understood by the scientific
establishment.  I'd have to work hard to make this case -- but I still
suspect its true.  His book is not so much about "the human brain" (in the
sense of neurology) as it is about a pure mathematical model of adaption and
learning -- that he infers must therefore be applicable to the human brain
-- because humans display the kind of adaptive behavior he is describing.
I'll attach one screen shot from the .pdf.    (02)

Albert Einstein
> Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created
them.    (03)

That quote keeps popping up in my world.  It has more or less convinced me
that the mysterious concept of "level of awareness" actually has to do with
ideas.  When we have better ideas, our "level of awareness" (whatever that
is) improves.    (04)

Bruce Schuman
(805) 966-9515, PO Box 23346, Santa Barbara CA 93101    (05)