Re: [ontolog-forum] axiom

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:23:45 +0000

Bruce,

The simple definition of ‘axiom’ is “a statement/sentence that you take to be true”, usually without having any ability to prove its truth from other knowledge or assumptions.  There can be many different reasons WHY someone takes a given statement to be true – social agreement, blind faith, preponderance of evidence, hubris, etc.  That does not affect the concept ‘axiom’.

There are other vernacular uses of the term ‘axiom’, but with respect to the discipline of ontology development, an axiom is just a sentence taken to be true.

It is worthy of note that 99% of all ontologies, information models and UML models consist of nothing but terms and axioms.  Everything captured in the model is offered without any evidence for its validity.  The theorems – the statements that can be proved using the ontology – are the answers to the questions that form the use cases for the ontology.

-Ed