Re: [ontolog-forum] Health/Human/Social Services: the Open Referral data

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 22:09:33 -0400

Greg,

   I would just make a few points regarding your project:

(1)    If you envision this standard to be used by a small number of regularly interacting groups, you may be able to keep it narrowly restricted to its main topic.

(2)    But if it is intended to integrate a  large number of different groups or applications, it is essential  to include a carefully structured and well-documented  foundation ontology that will provide the basic concepts (I think of them as primitives) that can serve to define all the others.  Otherwise, the various users will inevitably interpret elements differently, and use them inconsistently.   This may not be fatal if you will only be doing statistical analysis to find approximate matches for concepts in different applications, but it will be fatal if it is to be used for logical inference.

(3)    Schema.org is controlled by Google for its purposes and may be difficult to change if you discover that there are things in it that do not serve your purposes.   Perhaps you can find the proper contact at Google who will accommodate your requests for changes in a timely fashion.  If not, it can mined for useful structure, but if your purposes do not exactly match Google’s (it seems not), I would not recommend just adopting it without modification.

(4)    There are several foundation (“upper”) ontologies available for public use, from the most comprehensive (OpenCyc) to SUMO/MILO, DOLCE, and (my own favorite, the one I am developing) COSMO.  A number of others exist but may be less detailed or (in my opinion) less adaptable to use by multiple non-communicating groups.

      I will be at the Arlington meeting, and if you are there will be happy to discuss my views on ontologies for data integration.  If not, a telephone conversation can also be useful.

Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA Inc.

cassidy@xxxxxxxxx