Re: [ontolog-forum] Health/Human/Social Services: the Open Referral data

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Greg Bloom <bloom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 14:16:45 -0400
Thanks for the great responses from this list.

First off: Michael Hiles, I’m eager to learn more about your system in Georgia — but cant seem to reply to you directly — can you connect with me at bloom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ?

Meanwhile, a number of people offered helpful suggestions off-thread. (And only one person was condescending about my own lack of technical experience. Good ratio!) Thanks to Ed Lowry and others for reminding me to keep it simple.

Patrick Cassidy suggested different possible scenarios for our needs, and the implications of each. For now, I think we’re closer to his first scenario — a small number of regularly interacting groups — because we’re grounding the development in the context of two pilot projects, and approaching it as an agile/lean challenge (though those methodologies seem to require some reimagination to apply to developing a standard)... my best sense of our 'minimal viable product' is that we just need something that accomplishes some specific tasks involved with enabling a relatively small number of systems to share data. So based on the feedback i’ve gotten here, my inclination is to challenge our working group to develop 'a shared logical vocabulary' to serve that purpose and stand for field-testing and evaluation, before venturing into debates as to the 'right' tool or language for "our" ontology. In future iterations, I assume we may want to develop a more fully expressed foundational ontology, and the responses here have given me some promising directions for that. (Including, most prominently, the new OMG services directory: www.omg.org/spec/ServD/1.0 - thanks to Ed Barkmeyer for that lead.)

Regarding the upcoming conference, I've tentatively concluded that we don’t seem ready to attend at this time, but that next year we will have learned much more and will have better formed questions and needs to address.

In the meantime, a couple of people here have expressed interest in learning more and potentially getting involved.

You can see our core Github repo here: https://github.com/codeforamerica/OpenReferral
You can sign up for email updates here: http://openreferral.org
And if you’re really interested, you can join our Google Group here: groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/openreferral

Thanks again for all your input and hard work,
Greg