Re: [ontolog-forum] FW: mKR2IKL

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bruce Schuman" <bruceschuman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 19:13:43 -0700
Just a tiny observation -- but this discussion of Ayn Rand reminded me that
eminent programmer Grady Booch cites Ayn Rand's Introduction to Objectivist
Epistemology in his 1991 book Object Oriented Design with Applications -- a
text I found quite illuminating, not only for its comprehensive review of
the philosophy and conceptual theory behind programming, but also for its
entertaining illustrations.      (01)

Rand's idea of "abstraction" involves what she calls "measurement omission"
-- as levels of abstraction increase, specific measurements are omitted.
I'd say she figured this stuff out before the days of computer science, when
the subject was still pretty blurry.  Since those days, highly motivated and
very precise people have taken a very close and testable look at these
issues.      (02)

But it helps to keep the broad intuitive picture in mind.  The big challenge
in thinking about these things is to be broadly inclusive AND precise -- and
I'm guessing that it was her intuition that Booch found interesting.
Needless to say, Booch also cites Conceptual Structures...    (03)

Bruce Schuman
NETWORK NATION: http://networknation.net
SHARED PURPOSE: http://sharedpurpose.net
INTERSPIRIT: http://interspirit.net
(805) 966-9515, PO Box 23346, Santa Barbara CA 93101    (04)