Re: [ontolog-forum] Giving SysML a formal semantics

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: cl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "henson" <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 20:29:52 -0500
Leo,
Thanks, I will check it out.  What is theoretically relevant about the Algos
approach is the engineering of the topos axioms so that one gets "set
building" subtype construction, without paradoxes. That is somewhat more
than application, composition, and abstraction. What I am doing is close to
type theory and its various implementations. The practical difference is
that type theory only uses one type and category theory uses two types, both
a domain and a range type which makes a lot of applications much easier to
formalize.    (01)

By the way  the axioms and a  FOL implementation go back a long way, e.g.,
Graves, H., Blaine, L., The Algos Computational System, Proceeding of the
European Conference on Computer Algebra, Springer, 1985.  The implementation
was done in what was or became Common Lisp. Application to engineering and
biological sciences is only in the last 4 years.    (02)

Henson    (03)