Re: [ontolog-forum] Giving SysML a formal semantics

To: "John F Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, cl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "henson" <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 08:17:25 -0500
John,    (01)

I am suggesting a change in model theory, not inference rules. I agree with
you that inference rules must be sound wrt the model theory. In this case
the inference rules are sound wrt the model theory.    (02)

A simple example of a partial function that occurs in everyday mathematics
and in engineering modeling languages is composition of operations and path
composition in directed graphs. I will start with path composition. This can
be represented in a first order language with two sorts, Arrow and Node. Use
lower case f,g,h for arrows and X,Y,Z for nodes. The representation that an
arrow has a source and target node can be done by using equality and two
first order function symbols, Source and Target. Each has an argument whose
sort is Arrow, and whose value sort is Node. A three argument predicate
TypeOF(f,X,Y} is used as an abbreviation of Source(f) = X and Target(f) = Y.
This will be written as f:X -> Y.  With this composition is represented as a
first order function symbol Comp which has two map arguments. The axioms for
composition are
f:X -> Y, g:Y -> Z => Comp(f,g):X -> Z. The consequent is read as Comp(f,g)
is defined and satisfies the TypeOf predicate. This is pure first order
syntax. Reasoning is pure first order with a definedness predicate. When
arrow symbols are introduced into a signature they are specified with a
source and target type which makes them defined.  A valid interpretation of
a composition term only requires that it is defined in a structure when the
term is defined in the theory.    (03)

This approach can be used to axiomatize directed graphs with path
composition, further axioms can be given to make it into a deduction system
in the sense of Lambek and Scott.  Further axioms to yield a category, and
when the arrow and node constructors are added then a topos which is simply
a more computationally tractable set theory. While a mathematician would
likely use the syntax f:X -> Y, the standard computer science notation would
be f(X):Y.    (04)

One advantage of this approach to embedding mathematics into logic is that
the mathematics concept of a functor and a valid interpretation coalesce
which is not the case when operations are represented as relations rather
than partial functions.    (05)

Henson    (06)