Re: [ontolog-forum] Giving SysML a formal semantics

To: "John F Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "henson" <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 09:19:46 -0500
John,
ABD logic is actually an axiomatization of the map and type (object)
constructions of topos theory in a first order two sorted language. The
sorts are map and type. There is one difference from standard FOL practice.
The first order operations are partial, but have definedness conditions
expressed in the logic. There are of course FOL systems that admit this. For
example, composition of maps is a first order function symbol, but is
defined only when the appropriate domains and ranges match for the maps
being composed.    (01)

What one is doing is not denying FOL its proper place in the sun, but simply
using FOL with definedness conditions for operations and predicates, and
with a specific ontology, based on topos theory, which has been proven to be
sufficient to do a lot of mathematics and science in.   This topos ontology
approach enables a lot of statements that are higher order in some
formalisms to be first order.    (02)

Henson    (03)