Re: [ontolog-forum] Giving SysML a formal semantics

To: Henson Graves <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "cl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 00:01:38 -0400
Henson,    (01)

Fabian Neuhaus raised the general issue of representing partial
functions in Common Logic.  Special-purpose solutions, such as NaN
in IEEE arithmetic, can be useful.  But it would be better to have
a more general solution.    (02)

> The topos axioms simply provide a built in ontology that has been
> well validated...    (03)

Yes.  A thoroughly analyzed subject such as topos theory would be
a good test case for developing a systematic way of handling
partial functions in CL.  It could become a recommended method for
handling a wide range of applications.    (04)

> I agree with you that you could translate the Algos axioms into CL.
> A relatively garden variety inference engine for a FOL system will work.
> You just work with the operations as if they were total. In fact I
> implemented an Algos system many years ago.    (05)

Since all functions in CL are total, some such solution could be
adapted to CL.  Another possibility is to represent "maps" by dyadic
relations in CL.  Quantified variables could refer to maps as a special
type of relation.    (06)

Since Common Logic is intended to support an open-ended variety of
dialects with any kind of syntax, you could use any syntax for maps
that anyone might prefer.  But when such a dialect is translated
to CLIF, maps would look like relations.    (07)

Would something like that work?    (08)

John    (09)