Re: [ontolog-forum] is-part-of: a really, really, bad practice?

To: jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 09:48:20 -0500

On May 20, 2013, at 6:43 PM, jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:    (01)

> ... If properties are, say, prepositions & verbs, then they must be without
>range or domain. Logically the RDF Model suggests doing exactly this, as it
>defines the term Statement composed of Subject Predicate Object, a very
>grammatical model.    (02)

Don't be misled by the terminology. RDF is not very "grammatical", it is a very
restricted subset of first-order relational calculus (conjunction, existential
quantifier, binary relations.) It has no connection to English grammar. The
terminology you cite is being used formally, not descriptively.    (03)

> Notionally "predicates" decompose to predicate-verb and -object, the latter
>being a Clause -- a subtype of Statement. Thus properties are named only as
>verbs & prepositions.    (04)

The above is completely meaningless if it is supposed to apply to RDF.    (05)

> Tenseless Amodal Properties. I'd like to know how you'd model this in RDF
>triples then
>
> past(Harry believes (John Know Bill))    (06)

You don't. RDF has no capacity for representing believes or knows.     (07)

Pat    (08)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (09)