Re: [ontolog-forum] What is the role of an upper level ontology?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 19:56:26 -0400

Gary,

Yes, and some systems create “universally unique identifiers” for entities in their descriptive domain. By the way, I didn’t intend to claim that explicit context description is easy. Nor is it cheap to convey context descriptions or pointers to descriptions when data is transferred and transformed. We use implicit scope and context in our interactions all the time because it is usually cost-effective to do so – until one encounters a situation when it isn’t. That’s what puns and jokes and a lot of famous literature hinges on, like Romeo and Juliet and Othello – and is the root cause of most interoperability problems. This is a “Goldilocks” problem, or a “Kenny Rogers” problem – “know when to hold them and when to fold them”. How much context description is enough? It depends! But some context explicitness is usually better than none. And if an entity doesn’t understand the context description, that’s a good sign that they probably will misinterpret whatever data is associated with that context description.

Hans