Re: [ontolog-forum] is-part-of: a really, really, bad practice?

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 19:36:17 -0700

i am rewriting this, please ignore - thanks

On 20.05.2013 18:49, jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I agree nouns are crucial to model, as classes though, definitely not via names of properties. Take noun Sister (oh brother -- looks like a transitive relationship!) -- itself an instance of Class. In the first place, instances of the concept sister sisterhood sisterlyness or other, can only be represented as a subject or an object (that is, if we're on the same page of a subject-predicate-object modelled-world, if not, then, wow!)

Pat mentions COSMOS' numerous subproperties of isaPartOf -- I happen to believe the adoptability of an ontology is inversely proportional to the number of assertions it proposes, so I wonder why he sees them "all ... useful in their proper context". As I am proposing that no nouns be (in) predicates, then the number of properties drops precipitously, with proper community focus then placed on nouns' models.

Go further: "X sister Y". There's a massive difference between "X sister-to Y" and "X sister-of Y" and "X sister-by Y" and "X sister-after Y" and "X sister-before Y" and "X sister-with Y" and so on. Let's model these notions as easily and simply as possible for people to understand - in that I agree alot with Pat.

These intricate relations can be modelled with has as the predicate with an instance of Sister as the object. This Sister instance has instances of the properties to, of, by, after, before, with and so on. This Sister instance can be related in a triple to a subject via only the predicates has, had, will have and so on. (I've been thinking lately there's need to distinguish has-a versus has-the...)

I much dislike the idea of an is-a property because as other notes here said, each "type" that a thing is, is really just a facade, a context, a role, etc, that the thing has at one time or another, so let's model it that way. Start with just one verb (has) as the only proper predicate -- its subproperties identify the critical elements of time deonism negation etc applicable to any relationship, elements which definitely should be specified in queries.

Thanks - jmc