Re: [ontolog-forum] is-part-of: a really, really, bad practice?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 23:44:34 -0400

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM, <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree nouns are crucial to model, as classes though, definitely not via names of properties.

noun is a grammatical category, I would not model nouns **or any other** grammatical category, unless I was specifying the grammar for some language that had nouns,.

Take noun Sister (oh brother -- looks like a transitive relationship!) -- itself an instance of Class. In the first place, instances of the concept sister sisterhood sisterlyness or other, can only be represented as a subject or an object (that is, if we're on the same page of a subject-predicate-object modelled-world, if not, then, wow!)

Right, that is where we differ.    For example,  the fact that the predicate has the role burried in it, using position to represent role, gives you lots more concepts than really are needed.  Fatherhood is one concept, with two roles.   we need two separrate words in english, child of and father of.   In a logical deep structure, there is only one concept, and many ways to say it in the same and different languages.

Pat mentions COSMOS' numerous subproperties of isaPartOf -- I happen to believe the adoptability of an ontology is inversely proportional to the number of assertions it proposes, so I wonder why he sees them "all ... useful in their proper context". As I am proposing that no nouns be (in) predicates, then the number of properties drops precipitously, with proper community focus then placed on nouns' models.

--
William Frank

413/376-8167