Re: [ontolog-forum] What is the role of an upper level ontology?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 19:46:48 -0400

The examples can be and have been multiplied and debated for millennia.

Of course, my point is, one can delve into these subtleties, and multiply the examples, find the hard cases, or one can say, this is at least a simple stake in the ground, instead of starting with nothing, and saying nobody understands *anything* about identity.

I consider identity conditions

1
useful,

right.

2.
fallible,

absolutely right!  But, like anything else in science.  Fallible in application, in other words, we might measure wrong, and fallible as assertions.  In other words, the identity conditions stated may turn out not to be quite right, or even altogether wrong.

and not fundamental.

This follows from 2, and I understand you use the word fundamental.

however, all this talk about identity here does not seem to have taking these basic points into account.

John

William Frank

413/376-8167

This email is confidential and proprietary, intended for its addressees only.
It may not be distributed to non-addressees, nor its contents divulged,
without the permission of the sender.