Re: [ontolog-forum] Interoperability

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 11:14:37 -0400
On 5/8/13 10:03 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

On 8 May 2013 15:53, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mainstream IT will *never* adopt ontology-based systems until the
supporting tools are integrated with the tools they currently use.

Microsoft captured and maintained their monopoly by providing a
simpler migration path than their competitors.  But with Windows 8,
they made the blunder of forcing users to adopt a new interface.

They hoped that the new interface would be better for tablet
computers, but they lost their base:

From the recent bill gates AMA talks about "rich schemas"

> What one Microsoft program or product that was never fully developed or released do you wish had made it to market?

We had a rich database as the client/cloud store that was part of a Windows release that was before its time. This is an idea that will remerge since your cloud store will be rich with schema rather than just a bunch of files and the client will be a partial replica of it with rich schema understanding.

The product that Bill refers to (vaguely) used to be called WinFS [1]. This product, like many pre Web aspirations of Microsoft, is basically what hybrid database products like Virtuoso [2] deliver today, based on Web standards :-)

WinFS was all about unified storage of data objects. OLE-DB was supposed to be the data access mechanism i.e., what we have to day in the from of HTTP URIs denoting data objects that are represented via RDF based Linked Data style of Entity Relationship Model  graphs.

Links:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfs -- WinFS
2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com --  Virtuoso
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLE_DB