Re: [ontolog-forum] Interoperability

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Tom Knorr" <tknorr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 08:58:03 -0700
I think a big aspect of this is the question of how to use ontology in
day-to day applications.
It seems to me that it would mainly play a back-seat role as knowledge base,
which should be shared, rather than on one's individual computer system.
It could be used to model business processes and communication and generate
the corresponding schemas, code etc. but that is a very specialized
application, not the OS.
Machine translation, of course, but that is also better decentralized unless
it is on a mobile device.
The right implementation of a knowledge store will at some time replace the
operating system, files, directories etc. and change our idea of what a
personal computer is. I'm not sure where we are on that but I predict that
is going to be the next breakthrough with this technology.    (01)

My "Microsoft program" that never was released:
In 2006 at the PHIN conference in Atlanta Dr. Craig Feied (then Azyxxi) gave
a presentation of software developed and deployed for the emergency
department of one of MedStar Health's hospitals, the Washington Hospital
Center, in Washington, D.C. The presentation was placed almost like it was
an afterthought to the whole conference, yet it was visionary, IMHO. The
presentation was also given with the disclaimer that Microsoft had just
bought Azyxxi and the whole system. From my understanding, this was/is a
system based on a post-relational engine, what we today call NOSQL,
incredibly fast, with a level of medical knowledge intertwined with the
emergency room's day-to-day operations that was off the chart, compared to
other systems then available, particular the ailing system the conference
was about.
I had great hopes that Microsoft comes up with a new app/datastore based on
that, but it looks like they just market the product as Amalga these days.
I'm not sure if some of Azyxxi's ideas have made it into the MS Entity
Framework and/or are used in Bing, but they certainly had the deck stacked
in their favor at that time.    (02)

Tom    (03)