Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology for Gun Control

To: "'Pavithra'" <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Tom Knorr" <tknorr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 18:34:00 -0700

This is going to get interesting!

Maybe we can find some people that actually know something about guns to contribute.

My contribution to policies:

-          People that refuse to defend themselves and rely on police for security should pay a special tax to fund these protection services (similar to the California SRA Fire fee (tax) for rural areas).

Comments to yours:

-          guns have already serial numbers!

-          Gun registration (as you propose) is the start of gun confiscation (study history someday), I don’t think that will happen in this country (USA) without violence.

-          Making the NRA partially responsible when the pharmaceutical industry is pushing the drugs that were involved in all of the latest mass shootings is also questionable.

-          I am not against background checks; in California we have that already. I am not sure how you can talk the criminals into taking a background check before obtaining a firearm for a crime spree.

-          Equally important to a check is that the firearm owner is getting the training to properly use the firearm, including the criminal, civil and social consequences of using them. That is something that I find lacking in most firearm owners.

-          Brainstorming about future systems is great, just keep in mind that we already have about 300.000.000 firearms in circulation that will not have biometrics or remote control. (brings up an idea of creating an ontology of how to sell that kind of technology: Ooops, you cannot use your firearm that you have been carrying for years on your side because your fingerprint reader cannot recognize your sweaty trigger finger and you cannot keep it still enough while that drugged attacker is stabbing you repeatedly. At least the attacker cannot do anything with that gun either, unless he takes your finger with it). Or even better: No cell signal, gun is locked.

I think the only value such an exercise has is to maybe educate a few people that know nothing about guns. That would be small progress.

This is probably not the right forum for this.

Tom