Re: [ontolog-forum] Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:45:26 -0500
> Certain individuals are born without a corpus callosum and function, with
> language, without the problems disclosed by split brain experiments (they
> have other problems yet they live in society and hold down jobs, and so
> forth). Which only goes to show how very little we actually know about
> neurobiology and biophysics in general (and, BTW, despite western
> governments, including the Obama administration, apparent enthusiasm for
> the subject, "mapping the brain" tells us nothing much of consequence).    (01)

I beg to disagree.  When i learned the details of Gabby Gifford's head
wound, i had a very good idea of what disabilities she would end up with.
She fits the pattern according to the brain map very closely.    (02)

In "mapping the brain", certain areas are determined
to have certain functions in the vast majority of brains.  Consider the
visual cortex, and the regions for motor control and reception of the sense
of touch.  There are other areas in the human cerebrum that usually are used
for certain types of processing (e.g. Wernicke's and Brocca's areas), however
these functions can occur elsewhere in the cerebrum if those regions are
damaged or absent before language learning begins.  In cases of damage
to the brain, the specific area of the brain that is damaged strongly
suggests the nature of the effect on the victim.  Certain capabilities can
be at least partially regained in undamaged areas of the brain.  The
functionality disrupted and the area of the brain damaged greatly affect
the extent of the regaining of such capabilities.    (03)

For such reasons, "mapping the brain" tells the medical profession a lot.    (04)

-- doug foxvog    (05)