Re: [ontolog-forum] Entity Relationship Model, Big Data, Linked Data, RD

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:47:55 -0500

Bob,

I concur that we should look at the non-publicly (or “less than completely public/open) exposed data in this discussion. The degree of “open-ness” is a scope dimension, as is the “big” in “big data”. Actually, the word “big” in this context has several scope dimensions – not just the quantitative size of the data set, but also the domains and enterprise boundaries that the data set might cut across. Relationships have scope as well, and the relationships among data seekers and providers determine how open or “public” the open data cloud (or any cloud) might be, i.e., under what range of contexts and related constraints do the relationships apply (or are operative).

Hans