Re: [ontolog-forum] [SMW-devel] [News] Google, Microsoft, Facebook And O

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:41:10 +0200

Hello John,    (01)

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 02:41:48PM -0400, John F Sowa wrote:
[Semantic MediaWiki]
> Note that their basic data structure is a typed list (AKA N-tuple)    (02)

They are grouping all information about a subject in one data object. See also:    (03)

 http://semantic-mediawiki.org/doc/classSMWSemanticData.html    (04)

But the properties they use always have a subject and one object, they do *not*
have n-ary relations/properties. This is why they can offer to store the data
in a triple store and use it for faster queries:    (05)

 http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Using_SPARQL_and_RDF_stores    (06)

A triple store is still a complex piece of software so it is no surprise that
they use MySQL as default. The interesting question is: Why is the data still
mirrored in MySQL when you configure a triple store ?    (07)

> with the option of nested lists.    (08)

I do not see anything new here. I could also say "The basic data structure
of RDF/XML is a typed list (AKA N-tuple) with the option of nested lists" and
it would be true but would say nothing about RDF.    (09)

> The absence of any mention of logic or ontology in their announcement
> means that the SMW developers don't see a need for it -- yet.    (010)

Basically yes - but have a look at:    (011)

 http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Using_SPARQL_and_RDF_stores    (012)

> But
> their use of MySQL, N-tuples, and typed N-tuples indicates that a
> logic and ontology that can support them would be highly desirable.    (013)

N-tuples may be desirable or not but the implementation decisions of the
Semantic MediaWiki developers do not indicate this, IMO.    (014)

Regards,    (015)

Michael Brunnbauer    (016)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer