Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:07:44 -0400
> OTOH, the implicit domain concepts used by New Orleans jazz musicians is
> not a human artifact, it is a naturally occuring phenomina of human
> culture.   What some  anthropological linguists create to explain and
> document this natural occurence would be an artifact.    (01)

This gets into the definition of what is an artifact.  Human culture is
created by humans making decisions, so by some definitions, human
culture is an artifact.    (02)

>From the discussion above, it appears that your definition of artifact
includes intangible things, such as concepts -- nothing wrong with that,
if not, this would not even be an issue.    (03)

As i view it, New Orleans jazz didn't just happen.  The musicians had a
musical heritage and blended aspects of marches, French Quadrilles,
ragtime, and blues.  A new aspect they added was a style of improvisation.    (04)

French Quadrilles were certainly a designed form; so the concept would
be an artifact (according to the implicit definition above).  There were
certainly many rules for marching songs -- another artefactual concept.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't similarly call ragtime and blues artifacts
as well.    (05)

Of course the concepts of the types of instruments used are artifacts.    (06)

Maybe you wouldn't consider improvisation in general artefactual, but
jazz musicians designed improvisational techniques -- which being
designed, would be artifacts.    (07)

Certainly, a description of how New Orleans jazz developed would be
an artifact, but the domain concepts seem to me to be artefactual as well.    (08)

-- doug foxvog    (09)