Re: [ontolog-forum] Accommodating legacy software

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:55:41 -0500
On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 14:14 -0400, David Eddy wrote:
> John -
>
> On Aug 30, 2012, at 9:48 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
>
> > But I
> > keep emphasizing the point that the new systems must accommodate
> > the huge amount of legacy software that will not go away.
>

> Strongest agreement.
>

> I have yet to detect much interest or concern for legacy software
> systems—the stuff that runs our interconnected world—in the semantic
> web/ontology domain.
>

> Have I missed something?
>

> I have been told to my face by <redacted> there is nothing for legacy
> systems in "the stack."

I guess that bit of intelligence hasn't reached those who are busy
putting semantic facades on all sorts of old data: OpenLink URIBurner,
apache any23, W3C RDB2RDF, etc.    (01)

Sure, a facade is different from a purpose-built semantic system, but
those will come later, just as true web applications followed early
screen-scraping HTML pages.    (02)

Regards,
--Paul    (03)