Re: [ontolog-forum] Accommodating legacy software

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 19:04:46 +0200
John B,    (01)

You usefully quote:    (02)

> In my philosophy courses I learned that "...you can't argue a myth
> away. An existing myth can only be replaced with a better myth".    (03)

That reminds me of another quote (and one I've often used):    (04)

"Theories are not displaced by facts, they are replaced by better
theories."    (05)

It's from Peter Medawar, biology Nobel laureate.  (I regret I can't
supply the reference, so I don't know if it was specifically aimed
at Popper's refutationism.)    (06)

You also relevantly mention biological evolution.  Its stepwise
optimization (as we all know) is a far cry from our wistful
mathematical ideal of global optimization.  But the Cambrian
Explosion spectacularly shows how even evolution can be
revolutionary too, despite the obviously inescapable basis of more
primitive prior forms.  Mass extinctions at the time could well have
been one of the contributary factors (See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_explosion).    (07)

So let's revel in the potential of conceptual evolution, in its
market-based agility contrasting so with biological evolution!    (08)

(And that, of course, is what the next generation of ontological
software tools could well be devoted to promoting...)    (09)

Christopher    (010)