Re: [ontolog-forum] How long to useful?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 08:07:39 +0100

Dear David,

Well I can tell you my experience over the last 25 years or so.

You are absolutely right that the attention span of those making decisions is 3 years (if you are lucky) whereas ontologies take decades to develop and mature. Each of the phases below is around 3 years.

The first phase is one of enthusiasm, you have found something that has the promise to solve your problem. None of the attendant issues have been revealed, which you inevitably fall foul of.

The next phase is critical. You had to cut short your grand plans, and the question was, did you do so in a way that managed to deliver benefits? If you did, and what you did was good enough, there is a chance that the next group that comes along in the same area will build on what you did. However, sometimes people are just determined to do something different. The most common problem is that what you have done is considered “too complicated” and people vow to produce something “simpler”. This of course does not work because the problem is not as simple as you would like. If you are fortunate, after several cycles you have built up enough material that it is  not really possible to ignore it and start again, though you still have people trying to simplify beyond what is realistic.

In the development of ISO 15926 I can think offhand of 3 attempts to take an over simplified route and at least 2 attempts just to ignore it and start again. The attempts at simplification have eventually been brought back within the mainstream, but at considerable cost to the industry.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 1489 880185

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

Skype: dr.matthew.west

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.