Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 11:52:08 -0400
Ignoring the choice of political scientist as source, this purports to
be the basis for an ontology.
What is the basis for this high-level taxonomy?  What are the
distinguishing properties of the 2nd level classifiers?    (01)

And how do those properties relate to "self-interest"?    (02)

All organizations have self-interests, and their human components
typically share some of those interests, either out of ideology -- what
the organization does is "good" -- or out of pragmatism -- I will do
well only if the organization does well (even though the definition of
"x does well" is quite different for x=me vs. x=the organization).  But
there are also cases in which the self-interest of the individuals may
be to the detriment of the organization -- I can use the organization to
do well -- as in the leveraged buyout game.  And a lot of work is
motivated by "pride in accomplishment" -- personal fulfillment, which
may or may not be "useful accomplishment" -- organizational value.
Bureaucrats commonly mistake making a contribution for making a useful
contribution.  So, it is not at all clear to me how position in an
organization affects the self-interest of either the individual or the
organization.    (03)

This is a would-be taxonomy without classification criteria, or
consequent properties, which makes it ontologically useless.
Alternatively, one can see it as an itinerary of places to be visited on
the way to formulating some kind of political science ontology.    (04)

-Ed    (05)

Rich Cooper wrote:

> If we limit the Self Interest Ontology to just the players Chomsky
> mentions (directly or indirectly), the set of agents could be
> organized thusly:
>

> -government
>
>             -legislators
>
>             -judiciary
>
>             -cabinet level executives
>
>             -employees
>
> -NGOs
>
> -corporate
>
>             -stockholders
>
>             -directors
>
>             -executive management
>
>             -lobbyists
>
>             -employees
>
> -individuals
>
>             -taxpayers
>
>                         -adults
>
>                         -minors
>
>             -beneficiaries
>
>                         -adults
>
>                         -minors
>

> This gives one view for the Ontology which identifies the agents that
> participate in the Chomskyesque materials.  Does anyone want to
> suggest additions, deletions, or changes to the list above?
>

> Activities of the Self Interest Ontology might include:
>

> -government
>
>             -taxation
>
>             -regulation
>
>             -legislation
>
>             -enforcement
>
>             -judgments
>
> -corporate
>
>             -markets
>
>             -monopolies
>
>             -competitors
>
>             -persuasion
>
>             -operations
>
>             -finance
>
>                         -capital
>
>                         -revenues
>
>                         -costs
>
>             -lobbying
>
>             -employment
>
>             -taxation
>
> -Individuals
>

> One way to develop materials for filling in the lower levels of the
> ontology might be to process NLP from Chomsky’s books and articles,
> and news stories, including daily news articles from individual
> reporters, articles from corporate news sources (e.g., WSJ, NYT, LA
> Times, etc).  By identifying the named entities that correspond to the
> agent classes above, it should be possible to organize news stories to
> deepen the Self Interest Ontology to include lower level subclasses.
> This is a very limited first step in identifying the actors and
> activities that play identifiable roles a la Chomsky’s viewpoint.  It
> should also identify the news sources which are biased in each
> direction for each class of agents.
>

> Has anything serious been left out of the top level for the Self
> Interest Ontology?  Again, suggestions are appreciated,
>

> -Rich
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Rich Cooper
>
> EnglishLogicKernel.com
>
> Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com
>
> 9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800    (07)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (08)