Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontology-summit] Estimating number of all known fac

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 20:35:40 +0200
Adrian,

I think the question about counting facts was more properly a question about identity conditions: Given purported facts f1 and f2, under what conditions is f1 = f2? Given an answer to that question, we then know whether or not we've got one fact or two, i.e., we can know how to count them. It doesn't follow we'll know how many there are (though we might, given a sufficiently well circumscribed domain and a sufficiently rigorous notion of a fact). :-)

-chris